Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Please don't try this at home...

I was reminded a couple nights ago of a serious issue we face in Utah. As my friend Kim and I entered a certain tourism agency, we were greeted by three receptionists, all of whom had big hair. The one in the middle, however, far outdid her friends. Her hair was, to be exact, Utah hair.

Now, for those of you who don't know, Utah hair is when a perfectly attractive woman makes herself less attractive (or as some would say, 'scary looking') by ratting her hair to the point where it stands a good four inches above her head all on its own. This requires lots of hair spray, lots of back-combing and a lack of honest friends.

Here we see a young girl who's mother threw her on the 'Utah Hair' train early on. Poor little thing will never know any different...



Some take it a step further, and instead of just ratting for volume, they actually rat their hair into a certain beehive shape. And it's not one of the glam-60's beehives we're talking about. It looks more like a ball, trapped under a layer of ratted hair on the back, top, or side of the head. Such was the case for our receptionist friend the other night, only she tripled her efforts. She had one beehive ball on each side of her head, and then one in the back. It was like a triangle of ratted love. If I knew her better, I might have simply called her 'triangle head'. Here's an example of the beehive ball, as captured by Kim (click on the photo to check out her Utah Hair blog). This lovely lady even added a mini pony tail to the back, making her head look like a hairy tadpole of sorts.



For me, this concept will never make sense. I can't figure out how people convince themselves that this looks good or natural. In fact, I think it's as unnatural (and equally as funny) as this:



or this:



And reminds me of a bad version of this:



So for anyone out there stuck with 'Utah Hair' syndrome, just know there's a way out. The first step is to wash your hair. Several times. Next you'll want to throw away your ratting comb and any hair spray you own. Then, simply brush through your hair (feels good, doesn't it?) and let nature do the rest. People might not gawk at you as much, but remember, it was never a good gawk to begin with---they were mostly just in awe of your hair. And by awe I mean they were laughing at you. Plain and simple.

9 comments:

The Travelogue said...

Hey, here in Utah we know that big = beautiful. That's why we drive Suburbans, build huge subdivisions, and have 10 kids. It's only natural that we also have big hair. Anything less borders on sacrilege...

Anonymous said...

I'm thoroughly offended.

Hilda said...

Ha! This is so true! Utah hair...why? Why doesn't anyone tell these people?

Angela, Grady and Boys said...

All I know is that I can always count on you to have a great post to crack me up! Funny thing is that I just had that same "Utah hair" conversation with a few freinds a few days ago! Love it! Not the hair, but the post! :)

The O'Briens said...

Okay, I died laughing when I read this! I have definitely witnessed Utah hair. When in the form of a triangle ponytail (as you pictured) I like to refer to is as the "pop can." When women do the "pop can" it looks like thy actually inserted a pop can on the crown of their head and then carefully covered the can. I love it. Great post.

The O'Briens said...

I hate my life. T's B party is the weekend right after the bar - I will be in Utah while you're living it up in Vegas. Grrr. I'll miss you all. You should, without a doubt, stay with me the next time you are in the City of Sin.

Jay and Heath said...

I totally agree with the "Utah hair" and I especially love that picture of the lion... so funny!

Unknown said...

You. are. hilarious.

L.J. said...

Try Idaho hair. Surrounded by it every day...not even a novelty...just the norm. I was in church today just staring at all these beautiful women with ratted heads who had daughters with matching rats. i wanted to weep.