Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Think Happy

I've never considered myself to be a depressed person by any means, but for the last few months, I've teetered on the edge of Debbie Downerdome. And ya, we all go through slumps and ruts, but what I'm just now learning is that in many cases we choose how we feel.

So I decided to choose to be happy, optimistic and hopeful again. Of course I still have my moments of doubt, fear and discouragement, but I'm learning ways to put those in their place and grab hold of the reality of those situations, which is: happiness is there for the taking, I just have to reach out and grab it.

So in an effort to drill this idea deeper into my brain, I've decided to make a few short mini-films featuring the happiest people I know or meet along the way. I asked them each about what makes them happy, and how they fight off sadness or negativity. These will feature people from all walks of life who've made the best of what they have and enjoy a high quality of life because they choose to do so. Not surprisingly, a large portion of these people are the amazing women in my life that I've been lucky enough to come across.

I'm inspired by all of them, and aspire to be more like each. With every interview, I learn a little more about how I can choose a more positive life for myself. And my hope is that if anyone else has downer days, they will click on these shorties and feel a little bit brighter after.

So I started by interviewing my niece, Gwen. She's this bright burst of light and happiness and it spreads wherever she goes. Most kids have that, but somehow as we grow into adults we tend to get jaded and see the world a little more pessimistically. But I don't think we have to.

I think we can still wonder at all the little things life has to offer, and find delight in the everyday. I think we can still be curious about all the people, places and things we encounter along the way. And I think we can all be as optimistic and lighthearted as this little gem.

Here's to a happier, brighter life for all of us :)



1 comment:

Ms. White said...

i love this idea. can't wait to see what you'll create! you are such a talented lady!